Monday, August 9, 2010

Pressure Canning Extravaganaza

After three days I have finished my weekend of canning(only a day late!)! After much reading I have finally decided to use my new pressure canner.

I invited over my good friend who helped me through the fears that come with your first time pressure canning.


We started with two cases of beets, both red and golden and decided that canned beets would be a great trial for the pressure canner . We found out the hard way that we had to watch our head space or they will boil over.

The next day we finished the second batch of beets in the pressure canner and also did a delicious batch of peach pie filling following this recipe I found at Creative Canning
And today I did a solo mission of pickled golden beets using a recipe I found in Best of the Joy of Canning cookbook.


Also through a few of the leftover peaches from the pie filling into the dehydrator, and some.... apricots, and beets!

In between my first day at Farmer's Market and 'the canning event of a lifetime' I had a chance to harvest most of my Walla Walla onions. They turned out wonderful. There are still a few giants in the ground but I had a great harvest of med to small size onions!! Whoo Hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment